Hi, I'm Dhruv Govil.
Software Engineer | 3D Artist | UI / UX Designer
Principal Software Engineer, Augmented Reality, Apple
February 2020 - Present
- Worked on visionOS first party applications and architected 3D content pipeline for Reality Composer Pro.
- Founding member of the Alliance for OpenUSD.
- Co-Created App Clip Codes. Responsible for generation algorithm, initial visuals and leadership demos.
- Shepherded and co-developed multiple USD initiatives. Contributor to Pixar USD, MaterialX, Blender and Maya USD.
- Worked as and with UI/UX designers to create intuitive artist and engineering workflows.
- Awarded design and rendering patents for innovations in AR / VR.
- Lead Engineer on Reality Converter.
Lead Technical Artist, Augmented Reality, Apple
August 2018 - February 2020
- Worked on application prototypes and concepts for the Apple Vision Pro.
- Responsible for creating UI, UX and Art Content for multiple projects. Includes creating interface design, interaction design, asset modelling, lighting, shading, rigging and animation.
- Created concept art , software prototypes , presentations and video productions for Apple leadership.
- Awarded Augmented Reality content, rendering and simulation patents.
- Developed Augmented Reality applications using RealityKit and Swift, as well as Unity and C#.
- Developed several AR applications as both an artist and engineer.
- Provided training sessions to artists and engineers.
Pipeline and Layout Supervisor, Sony Pictures Imageworks
October 2016 - August 2018
- Developed and maintained critical Pipeline software for all active shows in production.
- Oversaw a team of Pipeline TD's and Layout Artists on Visual Effects and Animated Features
- Developed new Shot Review and Approval Pipeline with 100x improvement in performance using a new frontend and server architecture.
- Co-Developed a Virtual Production system with tracked virtual cameras, a motion capture stage and Virtual Reality asset/scene reviewing.
- Created a Proof of Concept port of our pipeline to use Pixar USD
- Developed a bespoke pipeline to Unity for an Augmented Reality Project
Pipeline and Layout, Varying Seniority, Sony Pictures Imageworks
January 2013 - October 2016
- Production software development and artist support on VFX and Animation shows.
- Handled camera, plate and scene layout on a mix of VFX and full CG Shots and sequences.
- Co-Developed new Shot Publishing and Validation toolset used by all productions
- Developed a Deep Compositing toolset for fast animation collaboration with multiple animators or split up scenes.
- Created a dynamic scene origin plugin for Maya and a full pipeline integration to handle large scale scenes.
- Wrote a procedural muscle simulation pipeline with Ziva to significantly reduce required Character FX resources.
- Developed Motion capture ingestion pipeline.
Animation Support TD & Scene Layout, Rhythm & Hues
June 2012 - January 2013
- Responsible for layout and pre-lighting of VFX scenes.
- Assist animators with scenes, rigs and scripts.
- Develop tools for in house tool, Voodoo, with proprietary language, Parsley.
- Responsible for department in Vancouver, and training new hires.
- Develop artist color management pipeline.
- Developed Scene lighting management tools
- Created prototype Python bindings and an IDE for Parsley.
- Wrote tools to streamline ticket submission and management.